Opening in October 1993, Buckley’s in Breakwater Geelong has grown into one of the largest and most popular Clubs in Victoria.
The name Buckley’s comes from two sources. The first being the connotation 'Buckley’s and none' or 'You’ve got Buckley’s'. The second association is tied in with the local legend William Buckley who after being transported from England in 1803, escaped with fellow convicts and lived in the Geelong region for over 30 years with local aborigines.
Situated in Breakwater about 5 minutes from the city centre, Buckley’s was developed to assist local football leagues and football clubs. Buckley’s opened with a 140 seat Bistro, T.A.B., Bar Lounge and a Gaming Room. Through a large Membership base, a friendly ‘Club‘ atmosphere and diverse marketing strategies, Buckley’s soon became the entertainment hub in Geelong with staff levels growing from 20 people in 1993 to over 90 currently.
Buckley’s sponsors the three local football leagues - Geelong Football League (GFL), Bellarine Football League (BFL), and Geelong & District Football League (GDFL) every season and also distributes money each year to the local football clubs in the Geelong and Bellarine area.
Buckley’s official name is The Geelong Combined Leagues Club Ltd. and included in their sponsorship each year is also the Geelong Umpires League, Geelong Junior Football and the Geelong Falcons. Buckley’s also prides itself on assisting various Community groups, charities, sporting clubs and donating goods and services to many local schools and businesses.
Buckley’s was named 'Club of the Year' in Victoria in 2001 at the prestigious Clubs Victoria Awards and also won the 'Best Football Club Venue' Award in Victoria in 1999, 2000 and 2001.
Buckley’s was built as an entertainment and dining Club and has developed into a real success story in the region. From small beginnings the Club has added a 300 seat auditorium in 1997 and recent renovations in late 2004 have extended the Club further ahead from its competition.